12.4.14

a dose of colour at the Kaffe Fassett exhibition

Dear Annie,







Ever since my lovely mum-in-law taught me to knit a decade ago, I have been aware of the work of the textile designer, Kaffe Fassett. I studied books of his exuberant knitwear, and when I had a foray into quilting, she bought me my own copy of Quilt Road.In a magazine,a few years ago, I saw photographs of his home, which is the definitive riot of colour.

When my friend Lou suggested a trip to his latest exhibition at the wonderful American Museum in Bath, I was delighted. It was everything that I could have hoped it to be. Lamp posts, signs and railings had been spectacularly yarn-bombed with knitted stripes and granny squares in his signature vibrant colours. The tall tree outside the exhibition space was hung with hundreds of cheerful pom poms and with fabric lanterns (flower pots covered with Kaffe Fassett fabric and a layer of PVA, or something similar). 

Inside, we were immersed in colour and pattern, with Kaffe's glorious designs and prints decorating the rainbow painted walls, and even the floors. There was knitwear, needlepoint and quilt after quilt of heart-stopping loveliness. I carried the baby in the sling and he blinked and stared around him, unaccustomed to such bright beauty.

It was uplifting and inspiring in equal measured, and I left with a heart full of colour and a head full of plans to finish my poor forgotten quilt.

love from,

Laura


3 comments:

  1. The colours here are so beautiful! I love the pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks amazing.
    I love the lamppost.
    Have a great week,
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...